Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Joke's on them: They let us take her home!


Did you know when you have a baby in the hospital they let you take that baby home with you, almost right away? I am not an idiot, I realized this as well, but I thought there would be some sort of a test? A questionnaire, perhaps?  

For your consideration I’ve created a questionnaire sample:

Are you ready to take this baby home? If you answer “no” to more than 2 of the questions below, you are not ready to take this baby home. Please come back in a week from today for re-test.

1.       Have you ever babysat?
2.       Have you ever worked with young children?
3.       Do you like young children?
4.       What do you do when a baby is hungry?
5.       What do you do when a baby cries?
6.       Do you know how to change a diaper?

If they had me take the above test, I would fail. Although, I understand there is no “failing” on a questionnaire, but I would find a way.

I only ever babysat a few times, and even then I was co-babysitting with a friend of mine, who, to this day, swears I just did it to take half of her pay. I say her accusations are entirely false. However in her defense, I got paid while she did all the work. Call it what you want, I call it taking advantage of a business opportunity.

I have never worked with young children. Nor do I ever want to.

I don’t particularly like young children.

I believe you feed a baby when he is hungry – but what you feed her, at that time, would have been a puzzle.

I know what NOT to do when a baby cries – shake them. I, for a fact, know shaking a baby when she cries is forbidden. They made me sign a paper at the hospital where I promised I would not shake my baby. It’s true. When I jokingly asked, “What would happen if I don’t sign this paper,” the nurse wasn’t amused, murmured “Just sign it,” and probably contemplated calling child-services.

No idea how to change a diaper. How would I know? Seriously- how? Did you miss the part where I got paid for NOT changing diapers?

No comments:

Post a Comment