Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Parents Making Dumb Decisions: Part 1

Last night, my darling little troublemaker woke up at 2:00a.m., and refused to go back to sleep. Maybe there were monsters under her bed, maybe the wind was too loud, or maybe she was just finished sleeping. Either way, I was definitely not done sleeping. I decided to do what I never do (mistake #1) and take her to bed with me (mistake #2). Husband said, “Forget (Cee-lo’s version of “forget”) this” and left to go sleep on the couch (mistake #3). My darling little daughter curled up to me and fell asleep. All was perfect in the world. No monsters in my bedroom, no wind to be heard, just us…sleeping; me - snoring.

Silence. Silence. Silence. Thud. Crying.

Rule #1 – Do not let your child sleep in bed with you if there is no one on the other side to keep her from falling off the bed. Yes, she rolled off the bed. Yes, she cried. Yes, my heart stopped. No, nothing was broken - toddlers are bouncy! It wasn’t my greatest moment, but everyone learned a lesson that night. I learned I should stick to my principles and never let my kid sleep with me. Husband learned if I decide to “forget” my principles, he needs to suffer with the rest of us. My daughter learned that falling of the bed is more frightening and painful than the possibility of some fake monsters living in her room.

Overall, I say this was a learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment